Saturday 26 December 2009

Belated Tang Yuen! :O

Darn. Tang Yuen or glutinous rice ball festival just passed.
And tang yuen happened to be my favourite food ugh.

But when a despo person goes to Tesco, Tang Yuen rains from the sky.
Muahaha!

Nahh, I just wanted to eat the desert.
So I called my mom to get me some rice flour and tadaa!

So today, at 3.32pm I started my impossible mission towards balls.
Literally.

Allow me to share the recipe-
>Rice flour, and lots of it!
>1 cup of water for every 2.5 cups of rice flour.
>Colouring (ooh pick blue!)
>Pandan leaves
>Gula Melaka!
>Ginger
>'other assortments' heh u'll see what I mean

I kneaded it on my own. The dough I mean. My mom refused to help this time :(. It was unbelievably tiring :O

Then the ROLLING begins! XD

Small balls, big balls, as long as they're balls! (don't think wrong)
But seriously its fun rolling tang yuen.
It took my mind of things for a solid two hours.
And I got quite expert xD
I can now roll 3 tang yuen at a time :P

Then when its done, the tang yuen, coloured white and BROWN (don't ask why) were cooked.
Then into cold water.
Then cooked again. Lol.

The end result was delicious! Worth the hard work xD

But besides filling my ever hungry stomach, tang yuen also served other purposes.

Do you know the meaning behind tang yuen?
It symbolizes harmony and togetherness of a family, which makes it tradition for every family to consume at the end of every year.

When I was rolling tang yuen, I realized that patience is really important. I got angry at tang yuen refusing to turn round and resulted in dried-up flour balls. And no, water won't help.
Sometimes, certain things just don't and won't change, no matter how much you force them. Its better to go along with what is already in your hand and mold it slowly into something pleasant.

Also, harmony as a virtue plays a big role in the world.
Have you eaten tang yuen before? Then you will realize that all tang yuen are of different sizes and shapes. No two tang yuen are perfectly equal. And there are different colours. In my case BROWN and WHITE. Just like the world, there are people of different skin colour, looks and attitude. But all are the same. But all are tang yuen. And when all the tang yuen get together, only then can the form a dessrt. Only then, are we called a world.

So for people with racial issues, eat more tang yuen kay? :)

Hmm okie I want enjoy tang yuen now. And you can't eat it :P
Its MINE!
Mine mine mine. only mine. Always mine. me's mine.
(Brainwashing)

Well, bon apetite! :)

P.S. In case you were wondering, the 'other assortments' includes durian. I tried making a durian filled tang yuen today. And I ended up with a stick oversized ball of flour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home